A small but significant photograph today, taken in September 1915 and published in The Sketch magazine.
David Lloyd George (1863-1945), who had held the post of Chancellor of the Exchequer in Asquith's Liberal government since 1908, moved to the newly created Ministry of Munitions in May 1915. The new Minister had openly criticised Lord Kitchener earlier that year, attacking him for the shortage of shells and military supplies and Lloyd George's role allowed him to act with dynamic efficiency to improve Britain's output of armaments. The supply and allocation of raw materials was tightly controlled and engineering and chemical industries were put under goverment control as part of the war effort. He employed a network of able, young businessmen, known as 'push and go' men (a term first used by Lloyd George himself in a speech in March that year), who were able to encourage greater production efficiency in factories. Working conditions improved and the work force expanded, including, the employment of thousands of women workers in munitions and other war-related industries.
Lloyd George's efficacy in the role is symbolised by this, his car mascot, a gift of thanks from a grateful manufacturer for his role in speeding up the output of munitions. In 1916, Lloyd George left the Ministry of Munitions in good shape as he took up the post of Secretary of State for War and by the end of that year had replaced Asquith as the people's wartime Prime Minister.
We wonder what happened to his shell-shaped car mascot? We'd be grateful to hear from anyone who knows.http://www.maryevans.com/lb.php?ref=21621